- Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins and dust with flour or line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°c fan forced).
- Using an electric mixer beat butter, gradually adding in sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating well after each.
- Sift the flour, salt and spice and fold into the mixture alternating with the milk. If required add a little more milk so the batter drops easily from the spoon. Divide the mixture equally between the cake tins.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to stand in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make Cream Cheese Frosting: Place cream cheese in a stand mixer and beat with the icing sugar and vanilla until soft and creamy. Gradually add the sour cream and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Use half the cream cheese frosting for between the layers of the cakes and the remaining on the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate cake with a dusting of mixed spice and cinnamon quills. Refrigerate overnight if required.